Saturday, November 3, 2012

Day in the Life?Elena Gartner | Scarlet & Black

November 2nd, 2012 | By | Section: Features


Tela Ebersole


8:00 a.m.?Sit up in bed: this is my about to be my first full day of being off of crutches in 10 weeks. There is honestly nothing could make this day not the best day ever.
8:05 a.m.?Realize, while showering, that despite my progress, my legs are really sore. Whatever. I?ve fought my ankle injury long enough. My arms have paid their dues. What?s a little leg pain, anyway? This isn?t pain, not compared to severing 4 ligaments in a high-speed, staircase-related incident on my first day back on campus.
8:30 a.m.?Get dressed in athletic clothes so that I?m ready for my physical therapy session. I perform my habitual hop-hop-hop getting ready ritual, until I am ready to adorn the Boot. I capitalize this because it deserves nothing less than proper noun status, having saved my ability to walk. Ellie Goulding?s ?Anything Could Happen? serves as a great pump-up song. Today is going to be a great Halloween.
8:41 a.m.?Heart racing, I make my first unaided descent down 3 floors of stairs and head to the Grille. I feel so tall. Gosh, I love being off crutches.
8:42 a.m.? ?Good morning, Connie!?
8:50 a.m.?Two cups of coffee later, the Health Center van picks me up and takes me to my Physical Therapy appointment.
9:00 a.m.?Physical therapy session, the only workout I?m allowed to do.
10:00 a.m.?Get a ride back to campus and head to the Grill to do some work. Subconsciously, I know I won?t get any work done there, but I continue anyway in hope of finding Sivan Philo [?13], who is always there, and always makes me happy.
12:30 p.m.?Experience the most marvelous lunch ever. Finally, I don?t need anyone to help me carry my tray! This is my first meal all year getting my own food. Naturally, I strut (okay, limp) around, touring the stations, staring at the wealth of food options like an eager prospie.
1:15 p.m.?Exercise my ability to walk around and make phone calls simultaneously. Seriously, one doesn?t understand how many things people do simultaneously until he/she/ze goes approximately 70 days without being able to do anything on the move.
1:30 p.m.?Email back and forth with Anna Halpin-Healy [?13] about Bob?s Underground Caf?. Anna is the current manager and I?m the assistant manager. Although I?ve missed running and my lovely Bea$t$ and Roo$, there have been advantages to having more time in my day, and fully committing myself to reopening Bob?s as a creative space and successful student-run business has certainly been one of them.
2:15 p.m.?Attend my Spanish Seminar with Benoist. Best class ever.
6:30 p.m.?Dinner. I was over-zealous on the soup?I accidently spilled it as a result of my limping on the Boot. But after dinner, there were pumpkin bars galore!
7:30 p.m.?Head back to Haines with the lovely Miss Caroline Froh [?15] and Miss Teya Voyce [?15], struggling with the decision of whether to enjoy Halloween festivities or write the papers which I?ve put off until now. Sadly, papers trumped Halloween.
8:00 p.m.?Work in Burling Library. Thank you to the costumed people who gave out candy!
11:50 p.m.?Back in the dorm, I adorn my flannel pajamas when suddenly I spot the organic/fair trade/locally-made-in-Oregon knock-off of Nutella that my mom bought me.
12:05 p.m.?Head downstairs to Cassidy White [?14] and Meg Rudy?s [?14] room and we delight in my snacks?an Impromptu Halloween Party!
12:15 p.m.?Cassidy?s fish, Nick, is not looking good. He?s not floating, so we conclude that our little friend is still alive. Meg quickly Googles ?sick fish? and together we discover that Nick should be transplanted to a ?hospital tank? while the original tank is cleaned. Meanwhile, poor Nick is sinking, hovering at an awkward angle with the occasional twitch of a fin. Meg the Fish Nurse takes charge, and soon Nick is on his road to recovery.
12:30 p.m.?Back to my room. Lights out. Goodnight, Boot!

Source: http://www.thesandb.com/features/day-in-the-life-elena-gartner.html

x factor x factor megan fox ohio state football Bb&t Lane Goodwin Romnesia

No comments:

Post a Comment